Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A First

Dear Emma,

We are trying gymnastics at a new gym this time and since you have done gymnastics twice before and are almost 3 years old, they put you in the 3-4 year old class. Without Mommy. You can probably guess what happened when I let go of your hand and watched you walk in the gym with your new coach for the first time and then took my seat in the parent viewing area. I cried. In front of all of the other moms. Fortunately the majority of them were pre-occupied by their phones or other children so it went un-noticed.

I was not prepared for the emotions I would feel at letting you walk in that gym without me. I had to watch you from a distance and you know what I saw? A little girl. A little girl that talked and interacted with the other kids, paid attention to her coach and accepted her help, accomplished new skills all by yourself without my arms holding you up or keeping you from falling. The safety net was gone and I had to watch you fall, struggle and be challenged. I sat on the edge of my seat keeping my arms from reaching out when I would see you were about to stumble. You, however, were having a great time and you were so good at getting right back up and figuring out how to do what your coach was teaching you to do. I have to admit, you are a natural and I am shocked because your Mommy is anything but coordinated, dainty and graceful. After the first 10 minutes I finally relaxed and I was filled with so much joy watching you learn, accomplish and have fun doing something that you enjoy so much!

For over a year you have been taught how to do a forward roll (somersault) and have not been able to do it on your own. That all changed today. You did a forward roll all by yourself, completely unassisted! I was so shocked! I clapped my hands and said "she did it!".  The other parents laughed at me but that is ok... my baby just accomplished something that was a major challenge for her!  I praised God for your determination and your will to get the task completed by yourself. God has richly blessed us with you and I was so very proud of you for how hard you worked to keep up with the big kids today.

Even though it is hard, SO hard, for me to watch you grow older, it is also an incredible blessing that makes some of the tougher times worth it. God is helping you to grow into the little girl that He wants you to be and I get to sit on the sidelines and watch Him continue to create, mold and shape your little heart. I hope that you always have such great determination and continue to accomplish what you set out to do. You are so much like your Daddy in this area and I love that!

So congratulations on your first un-assisted forward roll my big girl!!!






1 comment:

  1. Awww, I loved this. Don't grow up any more Emma Sue! LOVING the new skills though!

    ReplyDelete